Asthma caused death of St. Thomas student found unresponsive in dorm

Katie Mullen was 19

Sloane Martin
November 17, 2018 - 3:32 pm
UST sign

Entercom

Categories: 

Asthma caused the death of a University of St. Thomas student found unresponsive in her dorm room last month.

The Ramsey County medical examiner's office says Katie Mullen died of respiratory distress and sudden death, according to the Pioneer Press. She was 19.

The office said Mullen died of natural causes. The paper reported that the medical examiner's office did not receive a report of Mullen having a history of asthma.

The Andover native and dean's list student worked in the university's Academic Counseling and Support office.

The family is asking that memorials be donated to the YMCA Camp Guy Robinson where she was a staff member.

"At camp, she was a fun, spunky, and humorous counselor who was loved by all staff," a passage on the donation page said. "Never afraid to be a little silly, she had a contagious energy that could get campers and staff excited to be at camp! Being able to have a positive impact on kids was very important to her. Her presence will be missed, but her passion will live on through the YMCA kids and staff who got to know her."