Authorities release video of fatal officer-involved shooting in St Paul

"It's absolutely heart wrenching for all involved."

Susie Jones
August 17, 2018 - 5:44 pm

St. Paul police released police body camera videos during a Friday afternoon press conference showing the fatal shooting of 43-year-old William Hughes, by two of the department's officers.  Police Chief Todd Axtell called it "absolutely heart wrenching for all involved."

St. Paul mayor Melvin Carter called the shooting "heartbreaking."

Axtell said he thought hard about releasing the video, and said he hoped that by doing so, it would put to rest rumors circulating in the community.

The video shows Officers Matthew Jones and Vincent Adams responding to a call of multiple shots fired August 5.

When they arrived at the home at 905 St Anthony Avenue, they walked up to the first floor of the two-story home with their guns drawn and flashlights shining into the porch.

Adams can be heard knocking on the door, and a voice can be heard inside saying "I will kill you."

Hughes is seen then opening up the door and the officers tell him to put his hands up. 

Hughes steps onto the porch.  Both officers can be heard yelling, "Put your hands up! Put your hands up!"  A gun can be seen in Hughes' right hand. He is then seen raising his right hand up.

Chief Axtell said he watched the video of the shooting with Hughes' family. "They are sad. As I would be sad too if I lost a brother."

He said the family was heartbroken and shared memories of Hughes. "His kind heart and how much they miss him. He was a good man and he was in pain."

Axtell showed two sealed cards he said Hughes' sister gave to him to give to the officers.

"I don't know what they say," the chief said. "It's a moment in my career that will leave an indelible mark on me. It's the first time in my career I've seen such grace by a family met with such a tragedy," Axtell said.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is still investigating the shooting.

The Ramsey County Attorney's office said because the case is still under investigation, it has no timeline on how long it will take to make a decision on whether there will be charges.