New Yorker who threatened to kill Omar pleads guilty

Sentence could include 10 years in prison

WCCO Radio Newsroom
November 19, 2019 - 6:03 am

AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File

Categories: 

A New York man has pleaded guilty to making death threats to Minnesota fifth district Congresswoman Ilhan Omar earlier this year.

Patrick Carlineo, 55, pleaded guilty to threatening to assault and murder a United States official, and being a felon in possession of firearms.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, or both. 

RELATED: Trump's verbal attacks on Omar continue

Carlineo, who lives in the western New York town of Addison, entered the plea Monday in Rochester, NY. 

Sentencing is set for February 14, 2020. 

His lawyer says Carlineo has taken responsibility for using threatening language to express his beliefs but never intended to harm Omar. 

Court records show Carlineo was arrested in early April after making the threatening call to Omar's office on March 21.

According to a US attorney, a staff member took the call and said the voice on the other end called Omar a "terrorist" and threatened to "put a bullet in her (expletive) skull."

Omar is one of the first two Muslim women elected to US Congress.

 

Comments ()