Negative test results from suspected Minnesota coronavirus cases

The two who got sick never were hospitalized

WCCO Radio Newsroom
January 27, 2020 - 11:53 am

ID 89854665 © Kurhan | Dreamstime.com

Categories: 

Test results on two suspected coronavirus cases in Minnesota have come back negative.

The Minnesota Health Department revealed the cases late last week.

In a statement released Monday, health department officials say the negative results came following laboratory testing at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. 

Officials said last week that the people who got sick had just traveled to Minnesota from Wuhan, China. That's considered the center of the disease outbreak.

Those people received treatment but were never hospitalized.

RELATED: Minnesota takes measures against coronavirus

The director-general of the World Health Organization has flown to China to meet with government officials and health experts trying to contain the spread of a deadly virus that has killed 81 people.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said the U.N. health agency wants "to understand the latest developments and strengthen our partnership with China in providing further protection against the outbreak."

Last week, WHO held off on declaring the virus a global health emergency.

It said China had taken very strong measures - including locking down cities that have 50 million people - that it hoped would be effective in containing the virus.

The Associated Press contributed to this story
 

Comments ()