#MPRRaccoon captured on roof of UBS building

The raccoon that captivated thousands Tuesday made it to the roof of the 23-story building

Edgar Linares
June 12, 2018 - 6:36 pm

Susie Jones/WCCO Radio


The raccoon that captivated thousands on social media Tuesday has made it to the roof of the UBS building in downtown St. Paul, just as officials had hoped for both its -- and humans' -- safety. Officials report it followed the cat food to the live trap and wildlife experts are taking care of it.

The first tweets of the raccoon showed it perched on ledge of the Town Square office building in downtown St. Paul. It was only a few dozen feet off the ground.

Minnesota Public Radio reported that maintenance crews tried using a long pole to let the little guy slide down, but it got spoked and then ran away.

Hours later the furry fella started climbing UBS building, inching its way like spider-man towards the roof. Spectators on the streets of St. Paul stood watching each heart-stopping move.

“I am concerned, I’m wondering how he’s going to get back down,” said one woman.

The raccoon finally rested on window ledge of the building’s 23rd floor of the skyscraper. Unfortunately, the windows do not open.

“I’m worried about what happens after he moves again, because he’s at the last set of windows, and it looks like there’s vents right above him now, and I can’t tell if there’s ledge for him to rest on,” said Chelsea from St. Paul.

From the ledge he’s currently resting to the top of the tower, it’s least twenty feet of climbing.

St. Paul Animal Control was well aware of the raccoon and had crews in place at the top of the tower Tuesday to help the animal once it reaches them.

“We’re hoping the raccoon goes to the top of the building so we can help it out of its predicament,” said Laurie Brickley, spokesperson for the St Paul Department of Safety and Inspection, said Tuesday. “We’re working with other wildlife rescue organizations.”

The story has made national headlines. For many, like Chelsea, a woman who said she worked across the street and was watching the action on her break, it was all just too much. 

“I think I need to not watch this,” she said.

The raccoon made its way into the trap on the roof of the building about 2:30am Wednesday morning.  Technicians from Wildlife Management Services took the animal in the cage and released her into the wild.  St Paul Mayor Melvin Carter was there when the pickup truck drove off with the raccoon."I think if anything this means that St Paul is the city to take risks, and reach great heights." 

The raccoon was released in an unknown location in the Twin Cities.



It's unclear if the racoon found its way to the trap that was set.