Wrongful death settlement in Terrence Franklin case

He was shot by Minneapolis police in 2013

WCCO Radio Newsroom
February 14, 2020 - 11:16 am
Minneapolis city hall

Entercom

Categories: 

The Minneapolis City Council Friday approved a $795,000 wrongful death settlement with the family of a 22-year-old African American man who was shot and killed by police seven years ago. 

The 2013 death of Terrence Franklin sparked outrage, as protesters and civil rights activists challenged the official version of events. 

RELATED: A call for justice

"I think the conventional wisdom was there was a pretty decent chance that the court was going to accept review," said attorney Mike Padden, who represented Franklin's family.

Appearing on "Hey, it's Cory Hepola!" on WCCO as the settlement was announced, Padden called it a lengthy and complicated court process.

"It came pretty close to being reviewed by the Minnesota Supreme Court,' he said. "I think that's one of the reasons the case is getting publicity."

Police say Franklin was a burglary suspect and killed by pursuing officers in a basement after he grabbed a gun and shot and injured two of them - a contention his attorneys denied.

Franklin's father says his son was shot after he had already surrendered. He had multiple gunshot wounds.
 

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()