Time is running out for north Minneapolis tenants of Mahmood Khan

“If I haven’t found anything, I’m not going to move"

Edgar Linares
June 01, 2018 - 7:32 pm

By Edgar Linares

Categories: 

It was last November when Minneapolis landlord Mahmood Khan lost his Minnesota Supreme Court appeal to keep his rental license on his 43 properties. Now, some 300 residents are looking for new places to live, while others say they are not going anywhere.

On Friday, dozens of Khan tenants met with Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and Councilmember Jeremiah Ellison. A few times the discussion got heated with many blaming the city for allowing Khan to rent out unlivable properties to low-income Minnesotans for years.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports between 2008 and 2015, Khan’s properties racked up more than 3,550 housing violations.

After Khan lost his license a court appointed administrator told tenants they had until August 31 to find a new place to live. However, Patricia Grant says she only has 30 days to find a new place after finding a letter taped to her front door from Khan telling her to vacate the property.

“The house is uninhabitable, the city has been putting up yellow notices on the door that I have to move,” said Grant. “It’s just emotional that we have to talk about this stuff all the time. I’m tired!”

Grant told reporters she’s disabled and doesn’t work and feels like the city is turning it’s back on them. She says it’s been tough finding a new place to live when the first question she’s asked by property managers is ‘what’s your income?’ When asked if she’d leave on August 31st she said “no”.

“If I haven’t found anything, I’m not going to move,” said Grant. “I am forced to stay in that house, because I can’t find any place right now for my income.”

Many of Khan’s properties are single-family homes and duplexes in north Minneapolis, which Khan told the Star Tribune last year were worth around $5 million. Some of the tenants reported mold, drafty windows, large quantities of lead and rats infesting their units.

By Edgar Linares

On Friday, tenants voiced their concerns with Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. They’re asking him to step in and extend the court’s eviction date beyond August 31, but it looks like he can't.

“The court set the date, we provide the service that we can,” said Frey.

The first-term Mayor is vowing that Khan’s residents will have stable housing and says the city is behind them. He says they’re putting together a “stabilization package” and offering residents $500 in rental assistance a month for the next year.

“This is making sure that they’re provided wrap-around services, and relocation services. This is making sure that we’re holding some of these unscrupulous landlords accountable for their actions,” said Frey.

Last month, Frey rolled out his affordable housing initiative, which includes $50 million toward making housing more affordable in Minneapolis.